this pillow tutorial incorporates reverse applique and quilt-as-you-go techniques to make a perfect stitchy valentine.
- 1/2 yard main pillow fabric
- fabric scraps
- 17″ square of fleece or batting
- freezer paper
- sewing machine and notions
front of pillow: main fabric
1. cut pillow fabric into three pieces: one 17″ square for the front, and two rectangles measuring 12×17″ (for an envelope-style back).
2. mark a 17″ square on piece of freezer paper. draw heart, making sure to stay within boundaries of seam allowances, and cut out.
3. place freezer paper shiny side down on wrong side of pillow front and iron. (the freezer paper will adhere to the fabric until you peel it off.)
4. cut out heart shape from pillow front, leaving a 1/2″ seam allowance around cut-out in freezer paper. clip seam allowance.
5. fold back seam allowance along freezer paper cut line and press well to hold crease.
6. peel off freezer paper and press again.
front of pillow: quilt-as-you-go patchwork
7. use freezer paper to trace heart shape on to piece of batting or fleece. (make sure to trace with shiny side up so that the image isn’t backwards.)
8. place first scrap right side up and quilt with straight lines.
9. place second scrap right side down, aligned with raw edge of scrap one. stitch with a 1/4″ seam allowance.
10. press and quilt second scrap.
11. repeat with additional scraps until entire heart shape is covered.
pillow front: reverse applique
12. place the front main pillow fabric on top of patchwork and pin.
13. topstitch main pillow front close to the heart outline.
finish with an envelope back, and your pillow is complete!
fabrics used: Luxe in Bloom by Sarah Watson for Art Gallery Fabrics, Floressence by Art Gallery Fabrics, Oval Elements by Art Gallery Fabrics, Bloomsbury Gardens by Liberty Lifestyle, Out to Sea by Sarah Jane Studios for Michael Miller Fabrics.
*update* you can now find a Slovak version of this tutorial here from Zuzana.
Latest posts by Rachael Gander (see all)
- shop news: memorial day sale - May 21, 2015
- new pattern: springtail sundress - May 13, 2015
- shop news: crepe de chine, nani IRO, quilted jersey, and MORE!! - May 12, 2015