*this post originally aired on My Cuddle Corner*
we’re off on a road trip this week, and taking along our super comfy cozy travel pillows is a must!
are you heading out on the road this summer? want to make your own? it’s a quick and easy project, and only requires 3/4 yard of fabric. pillows shown are made with this soft Cuddle Fabrics fancy leopard print from Shannon Fabrics.
3/4 yard fabric
2 yards ribbon
1. cut two pieces or fabric, one measuring 15″ x 27″ and one measuring 4″ x 27″ (note that 3/4 yard is wide enough to make two pillows). cut ribbon into two 1 yard pieces.
2. right sides together (RST), align fabric along 27″ raw edge.
3. sandwich one piece of ribbon between layers, approximately 2″ from top edge, so that center of ribbon is about at seam line. repeat at other edge with second ribbon.
4. stitch seam with a 1/2″ seam allowance.
5. fold ribbon over to right side of fabric and pin to secure. repeat with second ribbon.
6. match remaining 27″ raw edges RST. pin and stitch with a 1/2″ seam allowance.
7. tuck in ribbon and match raw edges RST at one end so that the ribbon is centered on what will be the back of the pillow.
8. pin and stitch with a 1/2″ seam allowance, backstitching at beginning and end of seam.
9. turn pillow right sides out and stuff with polyfill/stuffing.
10. fold under raw edges of remaining opening 1/2″, match up folded edges, and pin.
11. stitch close to folded edge, backstitching at beginning and end of seam.
12. tie to seat belt and cuddle away! (note: safety first!! please check with your local laws to confirm that this type of pillow is allowed, and follow all seat belt laws.)
Latest posts by Rachael Gander (see all)
- shop news: memorial day sale - May 21, 2015
- new pattern: springtail sundress - May 13, 2015
- shop news: crepe de chine, nani IRO, quilted jersey, and MORE!! - May 12, 2015